Saturday, October 5, 2013

Round two in Colombia!

In 2011 I hopped a flight from San Diego to Quito, Ecuador and set off for my first solo international adventure. I met awesome people, saw some awesome sites, and found that I could travel South America for less than rent costs in the States.

One of the people I met while backpacking was Gringo Mike – an ambitious expat from Washington attempting to start a mountain bike tour company with limited knowledge of mountain bikes. I gotta give it to him though, two years down the road and he has a flourishing bike tour company, an encyclopedic knowledge of trails within a 5-hour radius, and rave reviews from backpackers the world over.

Sitting in Boulder this summer I found I could accomplish nearly everything I needed to do over the internet, and decided I should go explore. I emailed Gringo Mike and we decided I'd head to Colombia in early September and help guide tours.

I left Colorado just before a 100-year flood hit Boulder. I always thought the flood warning siren and “In case of flash flood climb to higher ground” signs were weird – we live in a semi-arid desert with more days of sunshine than Southern California. But when I logged on to Facebook after arriving in San Gil, Colombia I saw photos of Boulder I couldn't have imagined. My friends' houses were flooded and streets were destroyed as the amazing power of nature ripped through downtown.

My time in Colombia has been more relaxed than I anticipated, though still full of excitement. I've guided a few tours, learned to drive a natural gas powered car, went swimming in a cascade of natural pools, and built trails. I live in a house with the other guides – John from New Zealand and his English girlfriend, Jamie from England, and Miguel, the mechanic, from Colombia. I've taken some time to get used to “living” in a foreign country, but aside from the construction that was going on outside our house, it's great. We even have two adopted pets – Shakes the trail dog, and L.C. the kitten with a broken hip and ravenous appetite.

Sorry, I can't hear your jackhammer, could you come closer?
Dust from the aforementioned jackhammering
Miguel holds Shakes while John gets ready for the pumptrack.
L.C. the night we adopted her.
This is a multi-user trail.
Driving our natural gas powered Rover.

No comments:

Post a Comment